On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Friday, July 18, 2014

October Week 1


Month: October
Gentlemen Training:
Times to be Quiet: Quiet v. Loud, Inside voice/Outside voice
Talk about how there are times that we need to be quiet and times when we can be louder. Practice whispering messages to each other. Demonstrate whisper, inside voice, and outside voice. Make a ‘volume’ chart and have children arrange several different scenarios according to volume. Examples: when baby is sleeping, talking to baby, at the dinner table, at church, at school, at the store, at the park, playing in the backyard, at grandma’s house, talking to a friend, in the bathtub, in the house, etc.
Practice sitting still and being quiet daily by starting out with sitting together on chairs for two minutes without making noise or wiggling. After a couple of times, increase by two more minutes. If needed do some wiggle songs before sitting still.
Wiggle songs (most of these are from: https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook?lang=eng):
Hinges
I'm all made of hinges, 'cause ev'rything bends
From the top of my neck way down to my ends.
I'm hinges in front, and I'm hinges in back;
But I have to be hinges, or else I would crack!


I Wiggle
I wiggle my fingers. I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders. I wiggle my nose.
Now, no more wiggles are left in me;
So I will be still, as still as can be.

If You’re Happy
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.* (clap, clap)
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. (clap, clap)
If you're happy and you know it,
Then your face will surely show it.
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. (clap, clap)


Oh, How We Love to Stand
Oh, how we love* to stand
And turn ourselves* around,
Shake** the left and shake the right,
But, best of all, sit down.
Oh, how we love* to stand,
To smile and not to frown,
Lift** the left and lift the right,
But, best of all, sit down.
Stand Up
I will stand up when "stand up" is said,
Place my hands on top of my head,
Bend down low and touch the floor,
Shake my hands (one, two, three, four),
Hands on hips and turn around,
Give a smile, and then sit down.

Roll Your Hands
1. Roll your hands, roll your hands,
As slowly, as slowly as slow can be.
Then fold your arms like me, like me,
Then fold your arms like me.
2. Roll your hands, roll your hands,
As swiftly, as swiftly as swift can be.
Then fold your arms like me, like me,
Then fold your arms like me.

Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes, knees and toes, knees and toes,
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes, eyes, ears, mouth, and nose.


Day One
Literacy:
Sing the Alphabet Song.
Today’s letter is the letter E. Look at an E and trace it with our fingers. Practice the sound. Make an Envelope E from: http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2009/08/letter-of-the-week-e-2.html
They can then put the letter E and pictures of things that start with the letter E into their envelopes.
Read: Tap the Magic Tree by Christie Matheson and We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger.
Sing:
Leaves are Falling
Leaves are falling all around
On the housetop
On the ground
Leaves are falling on my nose
On my head and hands and toes.
Math: Review counting 1-10. Then add counting to 15. Do the leaf counting activity from:
Maybe we could roll a number dice or draw number cards and each child can put that many leaves onto the tree.
We could also do some of the matching and sorting activities from:

Snack
Science/Social Studies:
Talk about what leaves do. Look at some non-fiction books about leaves such as Awesome Autumn by Bruce Goldstone, Autumn Leaves by Bruce Goldstone, or Tell Me, Tree: All About Trees for Kids by Gail Gibbons. After the nature scavenger hunt, fill out the Meet My Leaf form.
Movement: Go for a nature scavenger hunt around the block. Each child will have a Ziploc bag to collect their finds. Maybe give them specific things to look for such as: a green leaf, something round, something brown, etc.
Art: Make a nature collage from the nature things we collected on our scavenger hunt. (This is why we switched our art activity and movement activity). Also, talk about fall colors: red, yellow, orange, and brown. Look at how you can make orange and brown by mixing colors.


Day Two
Literacy:
Sing the Alphabet Song. Look at the letter e. Review the sound the letter e makes. Make a big E and little e with play dough.
Read: Leaf Man and Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert.
Math: Measuring longest/shortest, biggest/smallest
Go outside and collect different nature objects such as leaves, sticks, rocks, etc. Practice sorting them from longest to shortest and biggest to smallest.
Use apple cut outs, pumpkin cutouts, or leaf cutouts to measure each child and see how many apples, pumpkins, etc. tall they are.

Snack
Science/Social Studies:
Fall Sink or Float Activity from:


Movement:
Sing Fall songs and rhymes with motion. Use scarves or leaves to add more fun.
It is Autumn (tune: If You’re Happy and You Know It)
It’s autumn
And it’s time to rake the leaves!
It’s autumn
And it’s time to rake the leaves!
It is autumn
That’s the season;
We don’t need a better reason;
It’s autumn
And it’s time to rake the leaves!

Leaves (tune: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
All the leaves are falling down,
Orange, yellow, red, and brown.
Falling softly as they do,
Over me and over you.
All the leaves are falling down,
Orange, yellow, red, and brown.

Fall Time
Red and yellow, orange and brown. (count off colors on fingers)
Leaves are falling to the ground. (simulate falling leaves with hands)
We pile them up Oh So High: (pile leaves with hands)
Then we JUMP in! (pretend to jump in)
My friend and I!

Leaves are Falling (tune: London Bridges)
All the leaves are falling down,
Falling down, falling down.
All the leaves are falling down,
It is fall time.
They are yellow, red, and brown,
Red and brown, red and brown.
They are yellow, red, and brown
It is fall time.
Take the leaves and crunch them up
Crunch them up, crunch them up,
Take the leaves and crunch them up.
It is fall time.

No comments:

Post a Comment