On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Friday, September 6, 2013

Art and Music

Our art and music lessons are very informal, but I want to expose my boys to different art and music and to the beautiful and wonderful world of music and art.

The basic lesson plan format is:
  1. Sing a song
  2. Short music lesson
  3. Listen and dance
  4. Short art lesson
  5. Art activity
I am not necessarily an artist or a musician, but I love creativity and I love exploring creativity. I'm excited to learn and explore with my boys.
This week this is what we did--We began by singing two requested songs: The Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Next, I read two books with the boys (Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle and The Big Red Ball and the Little White Kitten--Scholastic) to work on color identification. We watched Baby Einstein's Colors and had to dance whenever we were wearing the color being presented in the video.  Then we made rainbow cookies. (http://www.soudersstudios.com/recipes/rainbow-pinwheel-cookies.php) The cookies were kind of a last minute whim but a tasty one!)

Here are some of the concepts we want to learn about:
Art
  • Different mediums (watercolor, oil painting, sculpting, paper folding, etc.)
  • Artists
  • Shapes
  • Colors
  • Textures
  • Patterns
  • Art projects according to holidays or seasons (Ie. Halloween art and crafts in October)


Music
  • Musical Instruments
  • Different styles of music
  • Beats and rhythms
  • Favorite songs

Resources:
Wee Sing (the library has these books and CD's available for check-out)
Baby Einstein (videos)
White Horses (Sam did a wonderful class last year with a neighbor called Sound Beginnings. You can check it out here: http://www.letsplaymusicsite.com/)
Discovery Gateway offers art classes with membership
Little Einsteins (videos)
www.redtedart.com
www.kinderart.com
www.teachkidsart.net
www.teachpreschool.org/creative-art-on-teach-preschool/
Young At Art--Susan Striker (book)

No comments:

Post a Comment