On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Friday, September 6, 2013

Math and Science Thursday

Math is very intimidating to me. Luckily, my boys are at the age where we're just working on counting to ten. As things get more complicated, I'll just refer them to daddy!
 I love science. The world is full of wonder and so are children. I think we're going to have a lot of fun learning new things and discovering the world around us. By the way, I hear Bill Nye the Science Guy is going to be on Dancing with the Stars. I think I just added another show onto my list of Shows-I-Must-Watch-Without-Interruption-Each-Week. =)

This week we ended up doing our literacy activity as our math/science project. First, we sang the Ants Go Marching and practiced counting to 10. Then we discussed the basics of the scientific method--asking questions, researching and experimenting, and writing down your results. We made a science journal and wrote down questions we had about ants. One of our questions was: What do ants eat? We then did an experiment to find the answer. We placed a piece of hot dog, celery, a chip, and a plastic knife with some peanut butter on the sidewalk in front of our house and waited to see which the ants would choose. It turns out ants are not big fans of celery. =) We then made an ant farm using two jars. It was fun to watch the ants and see them carrying pieces of food and dirt around. I think it was a math/science lesson success!

Math Concepts
  • Counting 1-10 (# names, fingers, written # recognition)
  • Counting 1-20
  • Counting by 10's
  • Basic adding
  • Basic subracting
  • Telling Time

Science Concepts
  • The scientific method
  • Days of the week
  • Months
  • Seasons
  • Bugs
  • Weather (temperature, what to wear, clouds, rain, snow, sleet/hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.)
  • Animal and human homes (shelter)
  • Habitats
  • Sounds
  • Smells
  • Taste
  • Sight
  • Touch
  • Plants
  • The solar system (the sun, stars, planets)
  • The Earth (land and water)
  • Things that go
  • Dinosaurs
  • Rocks and fossils
  • Animals
  • Machines
  • Our body and how it works

Resources
Discovery Gateway
Local museums
The Magic School Bus
Bill Nye the Science Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment