On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Gentleman Training

I don't remember where I saw it, probably on Pinterest, but this mom does what she calls "Gentleman Training" with her boys. Basically, it's what I'm trying to do with my Manners Monday, but I really like the sound of Gentleman Training. So I've decided to change my wording--Manners Monday is now Gentleman Training. Side cute story--the other day at church Sam and Mark we're pushing the water fountain button for people, mostly because they like to play with the water fountain. But when a friend asked them what they were doing, Sam replied, "We're being gentlemen." I hope they will be my good gentlemen wherever they go. It's a work in progress!
Here are some of the concepts we are working on this year:

  • Making friends
  • Giving and sharing
  • Working through conflict without fighting (we have a lot of fighting in our house, so this is a priority!)
  • Identifying feelings
  • Using words
  • What to do when you're mad
  • Saying you're sorry and forgiveness
  • Cleaning, helping with chores
  • Language (teasing, mean words v. nice words, yucky words, etc.)
  • Using good manners in different situations (at the table, at someone's house, at church, etc.)
  • Gratitude
  • Empathy
  • Making friends, greeting people
  • Stranger danger
  • Patience, waiting
  • Being gentle/kind to babies, animals, etc.
  • Respecting your elders/talking to adults
  • Honesty
  • Reverence
  • Not interrupting 
  • Respecting other's things
  • Phone etiquette
I'm sure I'll be adding to this list as situations arise. You never know what three young boys are going to dish out at any given time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment