On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

October Week 5


Month: October
Week 5
Gentlemen Training:
Taking your turn to talk
Read My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook.
Talk about appropriate ways to interrupt when someone is talking and how it is polite to wait your turn to talk when someone else is talking. Go over the steps to appropriately interrupt a conversation found at: http://www.toddlerapproved.com/2012/05/my-mouth-is-volcano-and-other-tips-and.html
Do some practice scenarios, including when two adults are talking and when you are talking on the phone. Also, go over what counts as an emergency.


Day One
Literacy:
Sing the Alphabet Song.
The letter this week is I. Practice tracing the letter with our finger, saying the letter, and saying the sound. Trace a capital letter I using a Halloween bag of goo from:

Read a skeleton book:
Skeleton Hiccups—Margery Cuyler
Dem Bones—Bob Barner


There’s something…riddles from:



Math:  


Snack

Science/Social Studies:
Body Parts: Talk about how we all have bones that hold us together. All of our bones connected together make what’s called our skeleton. Go over basic body parts with some songs.
Watch the Skeleton Dance and do the worksheets along with it.
The witch has an Itch (tune: Farmer in the Dell)
The witch has an itch, The witch has an itch.
Oh where, oh where, oh where does the witch have an itch?
On her tiny little ____, her tiny little ____,
The witch has an itch on her tiny little _____.
(Children fill in body parts like toe, nose, etc.)
Hinges
I'm all made of hinges, 'cause ev'rything bends
From the top of my neck way down to my ends.
I'm hinges in front, and I'm hinges in back;
But I have to be hinges, or else I would crack!
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes,
Knees and toes, knees, and toes.
Head, shoulders, knees, and toes,
Eyes, ears, mouth, and nose.


Art:
Make Q-tip skeleton or X-ray from:

Movement:


For this game, you will need a plastic bone. A picture of a bone is fine, too. Have everyone sit in a circle. One player is the skeleton and stands in the middle of the circle, covering his eyes. Play "The Skeleton Dance" song. The seated players pass the bone around the circle until the music stops. All of the seated players put their hands behind their backs. When the teacher says, "Okay!" the skeleton opens his eyes and tries to guess who is holding the bone. He can ask, "Do you have the bone?" Seated students reply either, "No, I don't. Try again!" or, "Yes, I do. Here you are!" The player with the bone becomes the next skeleton.

My neighbor also has a bone toss game that I might try to borrow.

Fingerplays and songs:
For This Is Halloween
(tune:10 Little Indians)
One little skeleton hopping up and down,
One little skeleton hopping up and down,
One little skeleton hopping up and down,
For this is Halloween.
Two little children playing trick or treat…
Three little pumpkins standing in a row…
Four little goblins running all around…
Five little witches flying through the air…
Skeleton Parade
The skeletons are out tonight
They march about the street
With bony bodies, bony heads
And bony hands and feet.
Bony bony bony bones
With nothing in between
Up and down and all around
They march on Halloween.




Day Two
Literacy:
Sing the Alphabet Song.
Today’s letter is i. Make an “ice monster” out of a tissue box. Have kids feed the ice monster things that start with I. Print out pictures and dig out some toys of things that start with I.

Read a Halloween story:
The Spooky Wheels on the Bus—J. Elizabeth Mills
Mouse’s First Halloween—Lauren Thompson
Over in the Hollow—Rebecca Dickinson

Write a spooky story together by drawing out cards from a pumpkin to fill in the blanks or just asking the kids to fill in the blanks.
Once upon spooky night there was a _____________________. His name was ________________. He was very scared of _________________________.  Now this was a very special night because it was Halloween. [Character] decided to go trick-or-treating even though he was so scared of [fear]. He just hoped he wouldn’t run into one. Slowly and carefully, he stepped out of his house. Slowly and carefully, he opened his gate. Slowly and carefully, he stepped onto the sidewalk. Aaaaaaugghhhh! He ran into a _____________________. But it was not a [fear], so he wasn’t afraid. He said, “Happy Halloween!” and continued on his way. Slowly and carefully, he walked to the first house on the street. Slowly and carefully, he knocked on the door. Creeeeeeaaakkk. The door opened and there stood a __________________________. But it was not a [fear], so [character] wasn’t afraid. He said, “Trick-or-Treat” and then thanked the [ ] for his candy. Slowly and carefully, he walked toward the next house. He was almost there when a ____________________ jumped out at him from behind a tree. Aaaaauggghhhhh! [Character] jumped and began to run away. He wasn’t looking where he was running and tripped over a rock and fell down. His candy spilled all over the sidewalk and his knee hurt from falling down. [Character] began to cry. Suddenly a hand appeared to help him up. [Character] took the hand and stood up. He turned to thank the person who helped him only to discover it was [fear]. The [fear] smiled at him and said, “Are you okay?” [Character] gulped. The [fear] didn’t seem so scary anymore…actually, he seemed kind of nice. [Character] smiled and said, “Thank you for your help. Would you like to go trick-or-treating with me?” The new friends then went trick-or-treating together and had a very happy Halloween.

We could draw pictures to go along with the story after we tell the story together.
Math:
Candy Corn Math
Candy corn math puzzles (matching dots and numbers) from:


Candy corn math printables:

Snack
Science/Social studies:
Before doing the activity, ask questions and have kids make predictions, such as what do you think will happen when we add this?

Spooktacular Smorgasboard of Simple Science & Sensory Ideas for Halloween (lots of great ideas!): http://kindergartenbasics.blogspot.com/2012/10/spooktacular-smorgasboard-of-simple.html

Art:
Do the Monster Eyes Activity from:

Possibly do the Halloween Footprint Bunting or Halloween spook banner from:


Movement/Music:
Talk about what a beat is in music. Practice clapping a beat and then drumming a simple beat.
Songs and Rhymes:
In The Graveyard
(Tune: Clementine)
In the graveyard,
In the graveyard,
When the moon
Begins to shine
There’s a doctor
Crazy doctor
And his monster,
Frankenstein.
Oh, my monster,
Oh, my monster,
Oh, my monster,
Frankenstein
You are very,
Very scary
Don’t come near me
Frankenstein.

Creepy Crawly Monster (Itsy Bitsy Spider)
A creepy, crawly monster
Is coming straight at me.
Closer and closer,
He climbs upon my knee.
Up to my shoulder the monster’s much too near,
“Happy Halloween,” he whispers in my ear.

Halloween, Halloween (Jingle Bells)
Halloween, Halloween,
Halloween is here.
Ghosts and goblins,
Spooks and bats,
Are flying through the air. Boo!
(Repeat)

The Monsters are So Loud (When Johnny Comes Marching Home)
The monsters stomp around the house,
Boom! Boom!
Boom! Boom!
The monsters stomp around the house,
Boom! Boom!
Boom! Boom!
The monsters stomp around the house,
Their mothers and fathers send them out
And they stomp some more outside…around the house.

Second verse: The monsters yell around the house,
Eeeeeeeeh! Eeeeeeeh!

Five Little Monsters (play like This Little Piggie)
This little monster has a big red nose.
This little monster has purple toes.
This little monster plays all night.
This little monster is such a fright.
And this little monster goes:
“Tee-hee-hee, I’m not scary, I’m just silly me!”

I’m a Monster (Allouette)
I’m a monster,
I’m a big, big monster.
I’m a monster, this is what I say…
Roar!
I’m a monster,
I’m a big, big monster.
I’m a monster, this is what I do…
Tickle!

Here’s a link for some fun Halloween games:




No comments:

Post a Comment