On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Manners Monday

Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.

Here are the basics for my manners/virtues lessons:

Lesson Plan Format
Song
Review of last week's lesson
Lesson/Story
Activity/Practice

My plan is to only spend about 15-20 minutes each Monday on these lessons. They should be fun, easy, flexible, and focused on concepts that the kids need to learn at that moment. So, if I notice that my boys are having a hard time with saying "Thank you", then I will plan a thank you lesson for that week. The concepts can also be taught over and over again (as much as needed) with different materials. I will also reinforce the concepts through out the week. Manner and virtue instruction is really on-going, but with these lessons I can refer back to them. "Remember what the boy in the story said..."

Concepts
  • Please
  • Thank you
  • Sorry
  • Greeting/Meeting People
  • Stranger Danger
  • Honesty
  • Helping 
  • Sharing
  • Kindness
  • Happy Attitude
  • Gratitude
  • Saying nice things--compliments
  • Yucky words
  • Phone etiquette
  • Table etiquette
  • Patriotism
  • Service
  • Reverence
Here is a little song that I made up:
The Good Manners Song (sing to "Are you sleeping")
We say thank you;
We say please;
We say sorry;
We say excuse me;
We cough into our elbow,
And sneeze into our elbow.
We are polite.
We are polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment