On this blog, I will share my ideas for an at-home preschool that I do with my children, ideas for surviving motherhood, library story time ideas, ideas for my various LDS callings, Family Home Evening ideas, and whatever other random ideas that I have. I borrow ideas from the world of great minds and will try to give credit as much as possible. Thanks for dropping by!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Manners/Virtues Resources

Parents are usually more careful to bestow knowledge on their children rather than virtue, the art of speaking well rather than doing well; but their manners should be of the greatest concern.


I seek constantly to improve my manners and graces, for they are the sugar to which all are attracted.


I will be editing and adding to this post often, so check back to see what's new!

Websites:
Annotated Book List (I will write my thoughts about each book as I check them out from the library): 
Picture Books
Dear Miss Perfect: A Beast's Guide to Proper Behavior--Sandra Dutton
This book was okay, maybe a little too old for my kids though. The format is like the help letters in magazines and newspapers but for animals. It was cute, however, and it would be fun to have the kids look for good manners and bad manners in animals, ie. not taking a bath and being stinky like a skunk or eating food from the cupboards without asking like a mouse.

What Do You Say, Dear?--Sesyle Joslin
The Scallywags--David Melling
I'm undecided about this book because I felt like it gives a mixed message. The other animals complain about the wolves', The Scallywags' manners. But when the Scallywags start behaving, the animals decide they're too boring, and it's better when they're just themselves. Good message about being yourself, but not so good for teaching manners.

Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf--Judy Sierra
This book was a cute story about B.B. Wolf trying to learn good manners and get a better image with his friends. A fun take on the Big Bad Wolf.

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons--Amy Krouse Rosenthal
There isn't a storyline in this book, just words and definitions along with a cookie theme. For example, "Cooperate means, How about you add the chips while I stir?". The illustrations are wonderful, and the boys seemed to like the book. I would use it to talk about different ideas like being generous or compassionate.

Manners Can Be Fun--Munro Leaf
Poem Stew--William Cole
Goops and How To Be Them--Gelett Burgess
Whoopi's Big Book of Manners--Whoopi Goldberg
Emily's Everyday Manners--Peggy Post
Bear Says "Thank You"--Michael Dahl
This is a super simple and cute book about saying "thank you" and "I love you". It was great for my toddlers. Not too long and not too many words, but makes the point. There are also three other books in the series, Hippo Says "Excuse Me", Penguin Says "Please", and Mouse Says "Sorry".

Excuse Me! A Little Book of Manners--Karen Katz
This is a very short, simple book with flaps to lift that is great for very young toddlers. I used this book first just to introduce the manner lessons. I also added little discussions as we read the book.

How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food--Jane Yolen
The Golden Rule--Ilene Cooper
Don't Do That--Barry Louis Polisar
Lady Lupin's Book of Etiquette--Babette Cole
Manners--Aliki
Thingumajig Book of Manners--Irene Keller
Mary Louise Loses Her Manners--Diane Cuneo
Please is a Good Word to Say--Barbara M. Joosse
Time to Say "Please"!--Mo Willems
Rules of the Wild--Bridget Levin
This Little Piggy's Book of Manners--Katherine Madeline Allen

Books for Parents
365 Manners Kids Should Know--Sheryl Eberly
This is a great book to read as a parent just as a refresher course on manners. Eberly explains a wide range of situations and good manners for the situations. She also gives little activity ideas for each manner that can be as simple as tell your child about a time you said you were sorry (p.6) or a little more complicated, such as make a 'Thumbs Up' card and when your child gets 5 Thumbs Up, he/she gets a treat (p. 33). The most current edition addresses more current manners such as with texting. This would be an especially good resource for working with older children and teens.

Everyday Graces--Karen Santorum
50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know--Bryan Curtis 

The Book of Virtues for Boys and Girls--William J. Bennett
This is a classic that is sometimes forgotten nowadays. It has poems and stories for various virtues such as honesty, loyalty, and friendship. You can read the stories and poems to your children, or with younger children, tell it to them in your own words. I think for now I will tell the stories to my kids and have them draw pictures to go along with the story or find a picture on the internet to go along with the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment